Sunday 12 June 2016

Queen Caffeine in the City That Never Sleeps: PART 1

I have been a bad blogger (tut tut) and not posted in a few months but I do have good reason! I have had a very manic few months, with training in a new job- I have today qualified as a Fitness Instructor, YAY!- weddings, bridesmaid duties and last but not least holidaying.

As you might have guessed by my post title, I visited the BIG Apple, the city that never sleeps, New York, New York....and it was all I hoped for and more. Even though it sounds ridiculous to some, I actually felt emotional on the way there, I mean it's the place from the films and I was so excited to finally be there and experience it firsthand. You can't imagine it, and then you're there walking round the huge skyscrapers, wandering round central park and going to the Rockerfeller Centre, and you think OH MY GOD I'M IN NEY YORK AND IT'S AMAZING!

Having many food based social media platforms (Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest) it's hard NOT to spend your days drooling over amazing food and drinks, but when I booked New York, well the stalking got to a different level! I found and followed so many places I wanted to visit, from good old American Burger Joints, to rooftop cocktail bars and cute little brunch and coffee shops. 5 days just IS NOT enough to explore this beautiful city, but we did our best and found some little GEMS for you to hear about!

PS, we stayed in Midtown 38th Street West which is about 10 mins from Times Square, and 15/20 mins from Central Park

Friedmans NYC








Perfect place for a chilled brunch and really good coffee. I had lovely Granola with honey and berries, which was exactly what I needed after a night previous of SO MANY CARBS, I felt I needed something light! My other half chose bacon, two eggs, with potato hash and toast. With a side of Grits- if you haven't tried them you NEED to! You don't see them on menus much in the UK but they're a big bowl of potato-y, cheesey, garlicky goodness....YES to that. 
This place is perfect for a nice relaxed brunch/lunch- really nice vibe and fresh atmosphere. 


The Ainsworth 


The Ainsworth was our first evening meal in NY, I had scouted it out as being good food with KILLER burgers and pretty near to our hotel....winner. So we waled there, in the 28 degree heat (yes, it was about 7pm...) and sat down and immediately ordered a mojito! It was a relaxed environment, nothing fancy, but really nicely done. They had televisions near where we were sat in the bar area showing the sports, but I think deeper into the restaurant it was slightly more formal. I had the burger of dreams with Burrata, gherkins and red pepper. Delicious- skin on fries and yet another mojito. Just what the doctor ordered after a hot day of travelling and a bit of jet lag. Great place for relaxed date night- good cocktails and good food. What else do you need?

Brunch @ The View Times Square








Okay so this is kind of fashioned, hotel brunch with the best views! Not only that, the restaurant actually rotates so you get a full 360 degree view of the city. You might go in and think, Hmmmm these carpets are very 70s and it look sliiiiightly dated but its definitely an experience. You're on the 48th floor, you get a personal server who cannot do enough for you, brings you mimosa's (and coffee- gotta be balanced) on arrival and helps out at every opportunity. There's two guys whipping up the most amazing omelettes and pancakes, there's a hot food section with america bacon, potatoes, chicken, sausages, then a cold meats section- a more continental selection- with smoked salmon, bagels, cheese, olives, bread.....then the best section. The CHOCOLATE table; complete with chocolate fountain, waffles, fruit skewers, croissants and gorgeous mini desserts which are so pretty! You can stay for hours, which I think is the idea..and it's a really nice, delicious experience! 


Le Pain Quotidien 









If you haven't guessed already, cute little brunch spots and coffee shops are my favourite! And this one was no exception- just opposite Bryant Park, which I loved, was this little French inspired coffee shop. We went in for breakfast and we weren't disappointed. The smell of freshly baked croissants, coffee and bread was enough to make me happy! The decor is french rustic, with everything in baskets and wooden boards; they have a good selection of healthy smoothies and juices (loads of places in NY do) but I went for coffee and granola again! My other half had the instagram favourite- Avo on toast- simple But it was gorgeous! I loved the atmosphere and setting, and they had dulche de leche and chocolate sauce IN JARS on the table- enough said. 



So I could go on forever- but Part 2 will be coming later in the week as to not overload you with New York goodness and deliciousness! Watch this space......


QC x





No comments:

Post a Comment