Monday 15 February 2016

Restaurant Review- Valentines Day Special!

The Hopvine

Not my usual kind of review, but this place is so good I had to do it!

Last night I went for a little Valentines Meal at this amazing place called The Hopvine, in Burscough. Very unassuming, a small pub on the corner but my WORD the food is to die for! It's always busy, and always buzzing with the owners working behind the bar and serving (which I really like) it's a little hidden gem.

To start I had 'Goats Cheese Bon-Bons', little deep fried goats cheese bites with a gorgeous tomato and pesto sauce, and a SLAB of garlic bread. I was trying to go light on the carbs because I desperately wanted room for a pudding! The starter was divine, and my date had an equally as lovely black pudding and poached egg dish.




I then had sticky chilli beef salad with roast peppers and tomatoes with sweet potato fries- a particular weakness of mine. Both of which were amazing, and the sticky beef was so tender and gorgeous. So tasty, and I could tell ingredients were such good quality. (Ate so fast, didn't get a photo!)

Inside The Hopvine, it's kind of like a normal pub. Very traditional decor, but it's like stepping back in time to an old property and finding hidden treasures round every corner. They have hundreds of old books- legal books, encyclopaedias, old English novels, as well as old newspaper cuttings in huge frames and little porcelain statues in glass cases. An eclectic mix of interesting pieces, but it all works together to make you feel really at home and creates a chilled, relaxed atmosphere.



Now for the main event- the pudding. We had been given two homemade chocolate truffles as a little Valentines gift, and I did wonder whether to have them with just a coffee.....but I mean it's Sunday AND it's Valentines Day so I thought GET ONE.
We shared a Banoffee Meringue with toffee sauce and cream as well as a little helping of chocolate orange Mrs Dowsons ice cream which was JUST AMAZING. It was delicious and the presentation was beautiful, finished with little dark chocolate chips and icing sugar. Very cute. I inhaled it but managed to take a photo first!



The staff are lovely and so helpful- always checking back and always making sure we had what we need. And there was some live music in the next room which set of our Valentines meal perfectly.
It's a bit of a drive from anywhere- sort of in the middle of Liverpool and Preston, but so worth a visit. An old-y world-y place with modern and delicious food. The best of both worlds, what more could you want!

Can't wait to visit again, it has left me full and content on Valentines Eve!

http://www.thehopvine.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment